Uploading to Instagram

Try to include some commentary - behind the scenes, the story, settings, etc...
yorkie

Uploading to Instagram

Post by yorkie »

Is there a way to upload photos to Instagram direct from my MacBook Air?
Thank you.
WalterRowe

Re: Uploading to Instagram

Post by WalterRowe »

There is a Google Chrome plugin called INSSIST that basically sets the user-agent to a mobile browser to fool Instagram into letting you upload from a browsers. The free version lets you upload single images. You have to pay a subscription to unlock multi-image / carousel uploads. It has a slick feature for finding similar hashtags and adding them to your image.

I used to use Flume, but the developer hasn't made any updates in over a year now and changes at Instagram broke it. It is still a great Instagram browser, but it no longer works for uploading. Too bad because it was really good - high res uploads including carousels, all the fields were available, it could read IPTC metadata and use it to pre-populate them, you could create templates, etc.

--
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing". -Clyde Butcher
--
Walter Rowe Photography | Walter Rowe Biography | Capture One Affiliate
yorkie

Post by yorkie »

Many thanks for your input Walter.
Since posting I have found an app in Apple's App store which I have downloaded and seems to work in a similar way to your first picture by adding a + button and making it simple to upload photos.
For anyone interested it is called PhotoFeed for Instagram.
(Obviously only for Mac users).
WalterRowe

Post by WalterRowe »

Based on your recommendation I went to the Mac App Store and searched for Instagram. There really is NOTHING out there that is rated well, and truly nothing that lets you post to Instagram. Flume still works for browsing IG, making comments, adding likes. It just no longer works to post. The Flume developer is incommunicado so there seems to be no likelihood it will get updated to fix these issues. It has not been updated in over a year now. I paid for the Pro license. Wasted money at this point.

The Chrome extension INSSIST lets you post single images for free, or carousels / collages if you pay their subscription (which I have not done). That is still browser based.

If you enable the Developer menu in macOS Safari, you can go into the Develop > User Agent menu and set your user agent to Safari Mobile. That will get you the same functionality as the free level of INSSIST for Chrome and does not require a browser extension. One benefit to the INSSIST extension is that you can search tags and add related tags when you are creating a post. I do like that.
--
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing". -Clyde Butcher
--
Walter Rowe Photography | Walter Rowe Biography | Capture One Affiliate