Tone editing

Try to include some commentary - behind the scenes, the story, settings, etc...
GearHead

Tone editing

Post by GearHead »

While hiking I saw a distant rain storm. I only had my Oly 12-45 f4 pro on my em1.3 with me. The shots I took were underexposed and too wide. But they were hand held hi-res. So, I thought black and white. Then I delved into tone editing in 4 different photo editors. Finally, I have included 2 color images with tone editing. Just an exercise that helps me learn a tool's features.

1.) Original raw
2.) Workspace: dramatic tone art filter.
3.) Rawtherapee:
4.) HDR Projects 4(Franzis):
5.) Paint Shop Pro 2020: tone mapping.

Color tone editing:
6.) HDR Projects 4:
7.) Paint Shop Pro: tone mapping

1.) Original
1.) Original

2.) Workspace
2.) Workspace

3.) Rawetherapee
3.) Rawetherapee

4.) HDR Projects 4
4.) HDR Projects 4

5.) Paint Shop Pro
5.) Paint Shop Pro

6.) HDR Projects 4 color
6.) HDR Projects 4 color

7.) Paint Shop Pro color
7.) Paint Shop Pro color
DeMorcan

Re: Tone editing

Post by DeMorcan »

Interesting the differences and different looks. I wonder how it would look in PS with a gradient map make the conversion like I do. Learning the tools is always good. Although sometimes I learn what I should have done on a photograph I did awhile back. In my opinion, Paint Shop Pro did a creditable job.
GearHead

Post by GearHead »

Paint Shop Pro and I go back to about the year 2000. I was beginning my photo business venture and could not afford Adobe. Paint Shop by Jasc was the poor man's version of Photoshop. Corel bought PSP and continued to be a less expensive alternative to Photoshop with yearly upgrades. I used PSP exclusively to edit and print photos, greeting cards, and bookmarks for 15 years.
That being said, I can not recommend PSP. I have recently discovered that PSP renders Olympus orf (raw) files worse than 4 other editors (Workspace, Adobe, Rawtherapee, HDR Projects). I must convert .orf files to .tif files for PSP to accurately render the detail. I have provided proof of their inaccurate rendering to Corel but so far Corel has been dismissive of my claim. I did get my proof escalated to the Corel "development team". That was 6 weeks ago. I have yet to receive any response from Corel; not even so much as an acknowledgement of my claim.
DeMorcan

Post by DeMorcan »

Before the subscription service, I lost my computer in a fire and Adobe would not help me or give me an upgrade after constant upgrades since 1994. So, I used PSP for quite awhile and had been recommending it to people. I finally gave up and went back to Adobe once it was subscription for awhile. Just because it was the best RAW convertor at the time. I just like how I can recapture the full dynamic range and pull it in a little so I do not lose whites and blacks until I decide I want to. All my other programs have to accept tiffs from LR (or more often PS and ACR). I am not sure if Pure RAW will fit my workflow so I use some Topaz products for now.