Greg Murphy from Arizona

Tell us a little about yourself, share your social media and websites
GearHead

Greg Murphy from Arizona

Post by GearHead »

Hi,
I am Greg Murphy from Minnesota but now retired to Arizona.
My first digital camera was the Olympus C-8080. My next camera was the Olympus E-30 dslr. Then I bought the OMD EM-1 in 2013. I just received my OMD EM1 Mark III this week.
Twenty years ago, when it looked possible that I might survive a terminal cancer diagnosis I looked for a way to supplement my disability annuity. I have grown different varieties of Sunflowers for 45 years. I entered a few sunflowers pictures in a local contest with great success. So... for 14 years I juried into Art Fairs around the upper midwest. 10-20 weekend shows a year, a lot of driving, setup, tear down, and motel rooms.
My photography business plan was: take, tweak, print, cut custom mat, make custom frame, frame and sell sunflower pictures that people will buy to hang in their kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, and summer cabins. I offered multiple sizes at very reasonable prices.
I coded my html website, http://www.gearheaddreams.com, in 2002 offering sales via PayPal. I need to update my website to include new images from Italy, the Grand Canyon, the Superstition Mountains, and the Arizona desert.
I discovered Rob Trek about 6 months ago. Watching his tutorials, chats, and vlogs has re-ignited a desire to take pictures. Thank you Rob!
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Greg Murphy from Arizona

Post by Rob Trek »

Thanks for that inspirational story. When was the art fair you did?
Looking forward to your new images on your website. Be sure to let us know in the forum.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
GearHead

Re: Greg Murphy from Arizona

Post by GearHead »

Thanks Rob.
In the upper midwest most art fairs and craft shows were held on weekends late May, June, July, August, and early September. That's about 15 weekends. So from 2001 through 2015 I probably had my booth at about 150 art fairs and craft shows. My photography was juried(approved) by several high end shows in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bismarck, Fargo, Des Moines, Lake Geneva, and other shows in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and South Dakota. One year I was juried into one of the top ten art fairs in the USA, the Uptown Art Fair in Minneapolis. I did very well there.
When I first started applying for art fairs it was required that I submit 4-5 images on 35 mm slides along with a non-refundable $25-$75 jury fee. Eventually, the shows started accepting digital images.