Was Tony Right!

Gerrit

Was Tony Right!

Post by Gerrit »

After I watched the stream with Matti and Rob last Sunday, there is really only one conclusion possible. Panasonic is leaving the 4/3 sensor. Look at the latest serious 4/3 camera from Panasonic, the G9, and how old it is(2017/18). Of course I could be wrong, no i hope i'm wrong, but when I look at the full frame market, prices drop dramatically. For that reason alone it is already a devastating moment to say "Was Tony Right!" that micro 4/3 is dead. There is a downside to this all. With the emergence of 50 megapixel cameras, the demand for even better computers will be a must. Who need all these expensive cameras a normal person never can own. It's a hype. I own a Sony with the crop sensor, 5 years old now, it will replaced with an Olympus micro 4/3 camera or maybe a Sony A7II (same price at the moment).

Just a Thought....
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Was Tony Right!

Post by Rob Trek »

It's hard to say. The full frame market is very competitive and is forcing canon,nikon,sony to keep releasing cameras to stay relavent. This in-turn drives prices down on the entry level/consumer market. m4/3 doesn't have this kind of direct competition. I don't think m4/3 ever really meant to compete against aps-c or full-frame. It tries to appeal to consumers like myself that find the compact system more desirable over the (arguably) marginal improvements in IQ.

I hope m4/3 continues and with a little luck, make a come back as a main stream camera system. Imagine if Canon,nikon,sony came out with a m4/3 camera. They could put in their renowned af systems, color science, and bring a big box store name brand recognition.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Kilawin

Re: Was Tony Right!

Post by Kilawin »

I've been hearing or reading about the doom of m4/3 system every since I started photography and bought my first ILC which is a GX1 I bought a Sony A57 (with some basic lenses) as a backup in case the inevitable death of m4/3 happens. The irony is Sony A mount has been discontinued :lol: :lol: and I haven't reach to the point where the m4/3 is limiting my skill (or it will ever).

Even if the worst case scenario happens our camera will still works and still take great picture I'll keep using it until it stop working and put it on a glass display box for future generation to see :)

After I block Tony's channel from youtube recommendation m4/3 seems to thrive until m4/3 rumor feeds start popping up which features Tony. :lol:
jyutzey

If Tony Was Right, So What?

Post by jyutzey »

My first camera, purchased in 1970, was a Mamiya 500 DTL. I eventually had 3 lenses, a 50, a 135, and a 28. About 1985, Mamiya quite making 35mm to focus on medium format, their core business, because they couldn't compete with Canon and Pentax in 35mm. I used the Mamiya for another 25 years, but did upgrade to a Nikon N80 in 2000, which I still have and use to this day, 20 years later. I retired the Mamiya around 2010, which is when I seriously started shooting with digital beyond point and shoot, starting with a Nikon D40. Now, 10 years later, Nikon has ventured into mirrorless FF and APS-C, and I suspect we've seen the last of the Nikon 3, 5, and 7 DSLR lines and, most likely, new F mount lenses.

My point? Things change. I got into M43 about 8 years ago; now, about 80% of my gear (and 80% of my shooting) is M43. I love all of my current cameras (going back to 2013), mostly M43 but including a Nikon D5600 kit and the Nikon N80 film kit, and I use them all. I suspect that, just like the old Mamiya, I will keep and shoot them for a very long time, even if we see the demise of M43 (which I doubt at least for the foreseeable future). Perhaps at some future point, something new will come along that will compel me to make another change to a different brand and/or lens mount. I don't know at the moment what the future will bring, but when it does, I'll adapt.

The one concern I have is batteries. How long will we be able to get replacement batteries for a camera that is, say, 10 years old? I won't accept the cheap foreign knock-offs, which don't perform and are also an accident waiting to happen. That's the only thing, other than the new future mentioned above, that would compel me to abandon the beloved gear I have been shooting in recent years. Until then, I'll just keep on shooting the gear that I have, and having fun.