OM-D E-M10 II Back from Olympus Repair

jpmccormac1

OM-D E-M10 II Back from Olympus Repair

Post by jpmccormac1 »

Yesterday I received my OM-D E-M10 II back from Olympus repair in New Jersey; the LCD ribbon cable was malfunctioning and failed to show anything on the LCD. Total turn around time was 10 days using ground shipping from and to Florida. Can't complain about that. Cost of repair was $218.

They also did a clean and check and updated the firmware, though I thought I had the latest firmware. The only frustrating part is that the camera is reset to factory specs. I lost all the MySets and other settings I like - liked. I'll be reviewing Rob's videos for some of the settings I use most often.

I've decided to stick with Olympus and the OM-D E-M10 II. I'm just too invested to change and too old to learn a whole new system anyway. ;)
John P. McCormack
"Sometimes the subject's not sharp, but the feelings are clear." - Rock Photographer Bob Gruen.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: OM-D E-M10 II Back from Olympus Repair

Post by Rob Trek »

They are pretty fast with repairs. I've had 3 warranty repairs done and they all came back within a week.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Thai-Mike

Post by Thai-Mike »

When I got my first em10 ii in 2016, I was ready to change brand from Nikon do m4/3rd's. Daughter was the one who has chosen the em10 ii, I wanted the Sony a6300, my wife the Panasonic. Cos I love my daughter so much, em10ii was it.

After around 19 14 month I got the same problem as pointed out by the thread-starter. I went to the camera-shop they took it, unfortunately the one year warranty was expired. The had to send it to Bangkok. Is just around 60 km's from where I live (Chonburi). It took Olympus Thailand 6 month to replace the LCD. I paid 100 US$ After several month I changed to the EM5 ii. Great camera, no problems at all, Took so many great photos. Than it came the big holiday in December 2019 before covid-19 hit Thailand. I made my last trip around to Thailand to Chiang Rai on 24th of December. This was our most wanted vacation.

After a 16 hours drive, we pulled over at a very urban location with great things to taking photographs. Check in was noon, so we had 3 hours spare-time.

I took the first shot, Em5 ii and thew 12-40 2.8 lens. bum an amazing shot, I changed my angle, and pressed the shutter and ... nothing. The shutter was not responding. Changing batteries, lenses, cards, turn on or off nothing.

9 days without camera, I was very moody. Daughter got a Nikon point and shoot with her, it came in replace.

On 3 January after I came home in the morning, went to my favorite camera store. They told me 6 month waiting. I put all my Olympus gear on the desk and told them I trade it in for the Nikon z50.

Got extension tubes online and tried. But was not satisfied,

So I ended up with the Nikon again. Than look-down stroked us, and I was just able to get around the house, 20 meters, taking pics.. From February to October, lock-down. My school was closed, I lose about 30.000 US$. I am a registered school and had to follow the government rules. Buying and z-mount lens was not an option, too expensive.

Luckily we were able yo open our business on 1st November. We were happy and February this year until now our business is closed again, cos Covid-19. Reopen maybe early 2022. Until today I lost this year another 32000 US$. Recently my father in Law passed and we had to pay for the hospital (4 weeks)and funeral. We had to sell our house, and now we have the buyer as our landlord. So no sight to get a z-mount lens.

I sold the Nikon got first the em10ii and the 12-40 pro. After a week or so I changed to EM5 ii and the 12-50 lens, to me it is more versatile .

No I try everything to get the best out of my gear and fingers crossed that nothing happens to the camera.

I am faithful that everything will out work well and we are back on track soon. Fingers crossed. Daughter (14 years) is studying online cos schools are closed, her school teaches about Photopea in Art and Design, this is why I try to use Photoshop. more often.
My simple Gear Olympus EM5ii the Kit lens M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ + a CPL filter and L-plate
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Hi Mike, great to hear you back with Olympus, the EM5 II is a great camera. In fact, the way the secondhand prices are going I think the EM5 II is now the top best buy camera on the secondhand market. The 12-50mm is a great lens and sealed like the EM5 II. Mike, I really like to wish you and your family only the best, I think we are all a little stunned by what's taking place globally...
Best
Siegfried

#99 #Why