Trouble with PL4 (or not?)

TerryNoon

Trouble with PL4 (or not?)

Post by TerryNoon »

Having used PL4 for a month or so I came across a problem which may or may not be significant. It occurs for some files only and only when exporting to/importing from a plug in , in this case Topaz Sharpen AI. The files in question we’re all originally processed in Lightroom. I sent them to Topaz Sharpen AI where they appeared to be successfully (and impressively improved). On return to PL4 however the files corrupted and could not be read. Also the originating DNG file was similarly corrupted!

DXO support we’re very prompt in their reply but essentially said that PL4 is designed to work only with images taken straight from camera and therefore should not be used for images which have been processed by any other software. If this is true then it is not a strong selling point for anyone who is transferring from a previous editing suite unless you are happy to only process new photos.

In practice I have ‘re processed ‘ a number of ex Lightroom photos successfully but it looks like there will always be some which cause problems. I asked DXO if , before sending the dng file to Topaz you create a Tiff copy in Pl4 and send that, as a workaround would resolve the issue. I have found that this seems to work but DXO did not comment in their response.

So, whilst I like PL4 a lot I am not sure whether to fully commit or to investigate the Affinity/Topaz combination. Thoughts anyone?
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with PL4 (or not?)

Post by Rob Trek »

PL4 has it's share of issues when dealing with files. I'm working on a video that will cover some of that. However, I'm extremely happy with PL4 overall. The few times I can't work with a file or take advantage of all the features of PL4 because it's not a raw format is acceptable to me.

As for Affinity/Topaz combo. I'd argue that Affinity is a great add-on to any software at $25, maybe even $50. Heck, just get affinity and use olympus workspace together.

But PL4 with Deep Prime combined with the Optics module gives fantastic results. I added on Affinity to fill in the gaps.

The problem with all of this software is they have very weak photo asset management capabilities. You can supplement again with the free Adobe Bridge, but it's still an awkward workflow.

As for Topaz products, I have the whole suite and find it competent but not complete. It doesn't denoise as well as PL4 Deep Prime, the gigapixel has very limited use, and the Sharpen AI, while effective on some images, it's no miracle worker. Still, the entire package is more flexible than DXO products when working with files and integrating with Adobe.

So long story short, PL4 Elite + Affinity + Adobe Bridge.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
TerryNoon

Post by TerryNoon »

Hi Rob, Thanks for that and I would agree that PL4 is a great and useful piece of software particularly for RAW files. Your comments prompted me to do a deeper comparison of PL4 (Lens Sharpen) with Topaz Sharpen AI and I think they are neck and neck but PL4 has a much easier workflow (change a few sliders). It also avoids the issues I was addressing originally if you have a 'clean' raw file that has not been through any other processing software like LR.However if not Topaz provides the alternative route . So I guess my preferred workflow would be:

PL4 Elite for clean RAW files or for RAW files that do not require external processing
PL4 Elite plus Topaz Denoise and Sharpen for 'dirty' or non RAW files

I am really looking forward to your video on PL4 and in the meantime I have gone off to explore Affinity and to take more pictures.

Cheers, Terry.
Thai-Mike

Post by Thai-Mike »

just got DxO Photolab 5 and Dxo Film pack 6, I think i will soon switch 100% to dxo. Now i have got dxo pureraw 1.5 as well just in case.

BTW, here is a video what's bew

My simple Gear Olympus EM5ii the Kit lens M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ + a CPL filter and L-plate
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

I really love DXO for processing. The results are by far and away superior to anything else I've tried.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D