What could Olympus have done better on the marketing battlefied...

Siegfried

What could Olympus have done better on the marketing battlefied...

Post by Siegfried »

I am reworking my older articles. Working on my Color and Creative photography series, the intro to part 6 starts with a short historical overview. Did you know Canon launched the EOS760D, Nikon the D7200, Sony the A7 II, Fuji the XT10, and Panasonic the G7 when Olympus introduced the EM5 II? Reviewers and Forum experts (promoters) raved about full-frame DSLRs, more megapixels, and locked-up mirrors w Live View when Olympus launched the EM5 II with high-resolution mode, the color creator, highlight/shadow with mid-tones curves function, Live Composite, Live Time, a very advanced IBIS, and so many more...

Did you know Olympus was on average a decade ahead of its closest competitor? When Olympus launched the EM1 III with its 7.5EV IBIS, Canon had its first camera (R5) with an 8-stop IBIS. Canon did in one year what took Olympus 12+ years to reach perfection...

I recall a reporter asking the Olympus Imaging Business CEO, when will they have a better sensor and more megapixels. (EM1 II). He replied saying, what more do you want, the 20MP Live MOS sensor is excellent. The new 20MP BSI sensor is only a little better, have you ever wondered why? It's simple: the Live MOS sensor is 75% more optically efficient on paper than standard CMOS sensors, and the BSI sensor has a 15% advantage over the Live MOS sensor. This means the Live MOS sensor has a low noise floor and the ability to record more fine details than Standard CMOS sensors. The M43 format, Live MOS sensor, and lens design have unique benefits over cameras with larger sensors. How did I determine the 75% improvement?

What could Olympus have done better to counter the "size and capture" theory?

Very simple. Add a Sensor Saturation Meter (function) to Olympus cameras. The live view display would have a saturation meter with a percentage value of the sensor's saturation (SNR) and photographers the option to determine a minimum saturation level (visible noise)...

Why would this counter the sensor size myth? Explaining the saturation function would have countered the myth. That means every sensor has a noise floor, noise is not linked to sensor size and we as photographers determine how well the sensor performs...

Best

Siegfried
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: What could Olympus have done better on the marketing battlefied...

Post by Rob Trek »

Thanks again for sharing your experience. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the interview you mention?
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Siegfried

Re: What could Olympus have done better on the marketing battlefied...

Post by Siegfried »

Hi Rob. It's been a while. Study my article about the EM5 III and a short history of the 2012 financial crisis... Best Siegfried

https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/2019/ ... tells.html