Lyrids Spectacular Meteor Shower

MagRat Garlic

Lyrids Spectacular Meteor Shower

Post by MagRat Garlic »

The Lyrids Meteor Shower will be visible over the UK and Europe from 21st to 23rd April 2020.

This is one of the most spectacular meteor showers.

Recommendation is to watch towards the East after midnight. Prediction is around 20 shooting stars per hour.

Rick Bear
Grischa

Re: Lyrids Spectacular Meteor Shower

Post by Grischa »

MagRat Garlic wrote:
21 Apr 2020 13:24
The Lyrids Meteor Shower will be visible over the UK and Europe from 21st to 23rd April 2020.

Rick Bear
Hi Rick,
I just read your tip. Fortunately I already knew about it and tried to capture it. I live in Hamburg, second biggest city of Germany, which means a lot of light pollution. It's about an one hour car drive to find a darker place, not a real dark one. But in this crazy lock down times it's just restricted to go anywhere else for just photographing some shooting stars. And since this was my first attempt to shoot a meteor shower I decided to place the tripod in my backyard and give it a try.
I shot 330 frames over a little more than 1.5 hours. This is a blending of the few frames that catches one.
Lyriden.jpg
Lyriden.jpg (11.66 MiB) Viewed 4919 times
Looking forward to August and Dezember for the bigger meteor showers to come. Maybe it's possible to go to much darker and much more interesting places as the backyard then.

Thomas
edjuh

Re: Lyrids Spectacular Meteor Shower

Post by edjuh »

Let's bump this post, as we are nearing the Lyrid shower very soon.
I hope 1957Plato reads this, and otherwise I will hint him on Rob's Live transmission on YT.
Check the BRAM receiver in Belgium, during the lyrid shower, there a some web-sdr's that can pick them up.
All others reading this, feel free to listen to BRAM, the effect is more fun while you can watch and hear that meteor in real time.
Ed - Haarlem - the Netherlands
EM5.2 / 12-50 / 45-200 / 9 & 15 mm cap