screen protector — necessary?

marauder

screen protector — necessary?

Post by marauder »

who has a screen protector? who doesn't but wishes they had?
I bought a cheap one for my em10 markii and put it on a few years ago (4 or so) seems to be holding up pretty well but i keep catching the corner and it's starting to come off. wondering whether to replace it or just go without. I am of course pretty careful with my stuff but accidents do happen. Wonder if anyone has had similar model for a few years who's never used a protector - have you had any usability problems with the screen?
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: screen protector — necessary?

Post by Rob Trek »

On my e-m10 mark ii, I've never put one on. No scratches to speak of. Almost 4 years now.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
marauder

Post by marauder »

thanks. might just try with it off then. I wonder when they'll start using gorilla (hardened) glass in camera screens? or maybe they do already :)
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

I believe they do already.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Screen Protectors, whether they're for your camera or your smartphone, are just another example of people selling you what you don't need.

I've never used a screen protector and never shall.

On most of the OM-D series cameras, you simply flip the screen away so it's not exposed to knocks or scratches. Only the E-M10 MkIII (and maybe the original E-M5) have screens that can't be reversed ; so, maybe, you might consider one on the E-M10. But, think about it: wouldn't Olympus have a lot of upset customers if their LCD screens were prone to damage? Olympus invests a lot of time and money in organisations, including durability, so they're obviously satisfied.

Also, fitting a screen protector will reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen so that it won't operate as its designers intended ; which is another reason not to fit a screen protector.

Unless you're careless, I'd suggest you save your money

Rick
marauder

Post by marauder »

I bought some when i first got the camera - something like £5 for 3 or something so not a huge investment ;) didn't seem to impede touch screen sensitivity, but now the last one came loose i've removed it completely and not buying any more.
MagRat Garlic wrote:
03 Jun 2020 17:01
Screen Protectors, whether they're for your camera or your smartphone, are just another example of people selling you what you don't need.

I've never used a screen protector and never shall.

On most of the OM-D series cameras, you simply flip the screen away so it's not exposed to knocks or scratches. Only the E-M10 MkIII (and maybe the original E-M5) have screens that can't be reversed ; so, maybe, you might consider one on the E-M10. But, think about it: wouldn't Olympus have a lot of upset customers if their LCD screens were prone to damage? Olympus invests a lot of time and money in organisations, including durability, so they're obviously satisfied.

Also, fitting a screen protector will reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen so that it won't operate as its designers intended ; which is another reason not to fit a screen protector.

Unless you're careless, I'd suggest you save your money

Rick