Olympus' PRO Series Lenses

Rick Bear

Olympus' PRO Series Lenses

Post by Rick Bear »

The concept of MICRO-4/3rds is supposedly based upon small size, light weight, affordability, and excellent ergonomics. All things that Olympus have excelled at, ever since they introduced the OM-1 and OM-2 35mm film cameras in the late 1970s.

As such, many people have questioned Olympus' decision to introduce a relatively expensive, relatively large, and relatively heavyweight, 'PRO' series of M4/3 lenses. For myself, as a professional photographer who specializes in photographing in extreme environments, the answer is "Lens Quality".

Olympus wanted to attract professional photographers, like myself, into the M4/3 system. But, although their 'consumer grade' and 'premium grade' lenses offered many positive features -- in many cases making Olympus the only choice of equipment to be practical to get to a location -- there were always two weaknesses: ultimate image quality and weather sealing.

For me, the PRO series lenses are not true M4/3 lenses. I'd much rather use the smaller and lighter consumer and premium lenses, if only more of them were weather sealed. But, if only some of my kit is usable in a rainstorm, then I don't really have a usable kit. (That's especially true for someone whose speciality is extreme photography.) So, I have built my professional photographic kit around Olympus' PRO series lenses. Yes, ultimate image quality is a bonus, but it's having a set of fully weather sealed lenses as well as PRO grade glass that's smaller than anyone else's that does it for me.

For the cameras themselves, I use a pair of the OM-D E-M5 MkIIs. That might have been a pair of E-M10 MkIIIs, if only they were weather sealed. But, definitely not any of the E-M1 series, as I find them too big. As for Panasonic's offerings? I do like Panasonic kit unfortunately, not all of the camera-lens features are fully compatible, despite supposedly being compliant with the M4/3 standard. So I don't waste money on lens or camera features that aren't fully supported.

Finally, there's Olympus' recent decision to release what I'd personally call a 'Semi-PRO' series of M4/3 lenses. They've recieved a lot of criticism for this, along with many people being confused by where Olympus are going. For me, Olympus are doing exactly what they should have done in the first place. They're going to offer us a truer M4/3 PRO series of weatherproof very high image quality lenses, where size and weight are minimized, while Olympus' Heritage of smaller than the competition's size and ergonomics and performance is not for compromise.

If the Semi-PRO series of M4/3 lenses had been available when I put together my own professional photography kit, than that's the route I'd have taken. But, as I've already got the older, bigger and heavier, PRO series lenses I'll probably not be reequipping anytime soon. However, I would advise anyone who is just starting out and is serious about his/her photography, then go the Semi-PRO lens route. It will offer you fantastic opportunities that no other brand of equipment can compete with. Just like my decision to ignore the Nikon and Pentax brigade, and go for the Olympus OM-1 back in the 1970s. I've never regretted that decision. For many photographers, "brand loyalty" is an absurd religion, but for Olympus alone, it's about loyalty to superbly well designed physical (if not electronic) ergonomics.

Go PRO

Rick Bear
mzangroniz

Re: Olympus' PRO Series Lenses

Post by mzangroniz »

Hey Rick,
I got a OMD EM 1 Mark II in November. It was a purchase I hadn't intended to make! I started with 40-150 and the pancake 12-42. I have since purchased the 75-300. I did invest in a used 7-14 2.8. I would love to purchase more pro lenses, but I won't due to economics and the weight factor. So, I will stick with what I have and learn to use them. The weight factor is the biggest variable as I just had should replacement surgery. My Nikon
D 500 will be resting for a long time!!
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

I think the lure of fast glass is too strong to resist. However, the f/4 glass coming out is more in the spirit of m4/3. Offering exceptional optics while keeping the size and weight down. The 12-45 f/4 from Olympus is reasonably priced and I would recommend it over the 12-40pro for all but E-M1 owners. I think the extra cost and weight of the 12-40 f/2.8 is worth it on the E-M1 because it has a substantial grip making the lens very manageable.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Barrel406

Post by Barrel406 »

I agree with both Rick and Rob, I love the weather sealing of Olympus cameras and lenses, having the 7-14 pro, 12-45 pro and the 40-150 pro lens I also have the 60mm macro. ALL weather proof, but I can't see why the premium primes are not weather sealed as I'm not looking for the pro's F1.2 fast glass as I feel that the premium f1.8 would suit me perfectly for what I do. One can Dream!!!

BTW I mainly use an EM1 MII and an EM5 MII
Dave Nelson

Post by Dave Nelson »

Being a backpacker.... size and weight are super important.... but ultimately, weather proofed lenses are mandatory, so like others, I have gone the pro route.... Love the image quality, hate the weight, but have ceased whining.
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Dave Nelson wrote:
06 Apr 2020 01:21
Being a backpacker.... size and weight are super important.... but ultimately, weather proofed lenses are mandatory, so like others, I have gone the pro route.... Love the image quality, hate the weight, but have ceased whining.
We're all spoilt rotten. Not so very long ago we'd all have been carrying around large wooden glass-plate cameras, another box with spare plates, all attached to a bloomin' great tripod. 😄

Then there's the full-frame DSLR Battalions, lugging those hefty great Nikons and Canons around.

Thank heavens -- or Olympus and Panasonic -- for giving us micro 4/3rds. Even their marginally bigger and heavier PRO lenses are tiny by comparison to the Nikon or Canon. Better still, Olympus are developing a more lightweight series of PRO f/4 zoom lenses.

One thing that must always be remembered, however, is that you can never break the laws of Physics. That's why Olympus' faster PRO series lenses are bigger, therefore, heavier than their non-PRO super lightweight offerings.

Personally, I use both the PRO and the Consumer grade lenses, depending upon where my priorities are on a particular shoot. But, if forced to choose, I'd always go PRO where possible. After all, weather sealing, ultimate speed and image quality, as well as the money I save by not having to go to the gym, are the deciding factors.

Rick
Dave Nelson

Post by Dave Nelson »

I will gladly put up with the weight of the PRO lenses to get pictures that for ME are personally rewarding. I shoot for me. If others like my pictures...awesome, but it comes down to the point that I enjoy photography and re-living events that have made my life more enjoyable.... so if a lens can make my picture better... I'll slog the beast.