12-40mm f/2.8 vs Two Prime Lenses?

MarcPare

Re: 12-40mm f/2.8 vs Two Prime Lenses?

Post by MarcPare »

MarcPare wrote:
15 Aug 2020 14:57

I have just upgraded to an OM-D EM1 Mii and need to upgrade my kit lenses. My principal need for a particular lens is that I manage a classical Baroque group and take stage photos during live performances from the back of small venues and would also like to take photos taken of the various group configurations on-stage prior to their live performances; in this last case, there would be no audience in the bleachers and I would have full run of the stage or bleachers from where I could photograph the orchestra or smaller ensemble.

I've taken a look at your video comparing the 12-40 pro vs the 25 and 45 primes. I wonder if you could tell me how the 12-40 pro compares to the newer 12-45 pro? And if the newer 12-45 pro is better suited? I also wonder why is there such a large price difference between the two?

My other concern is that the live performance stage shots are usually taken from the back of the audience area, which is dimly lit, and the stage area is usually lit as per needed but usually quite bright. Would this be better suited for the 25 prime? or could a just a clear, quality shot be taken by the 12-40 pro or the 12-45 pro lenses?

Marc
After looking over quite a few YouTube recommendations, I've gone ahead and bought the 12-100mm f4.0 PRO lens. I think it will do for most of my needs. Although, I am looking at perhaps still getting the 45 prime just to see if with low lighting on stage will give me better photos for my music group -- the price is not that steep on the 45 prime and I can probably get a used one.

My new 12-100mm arrives sometime end of August.

Marc