XnView & Affinity Photo

John_Matthews

XnView & Affinity Photo

Post by John_Matthews »

I just wanted to ask some of you if you're using the combo of XnView and Affinity Photo. I've been working with XnView for the past month and I really appreciate its price (free for individuals/cross platform), fast loading speeds of RAW photos (something LR can't do for some reason), customisability, and all the ways of changing the exif data. I think it will allow me to really input all the exif data quickly, customise filenames, and really take control of the files, independently of whatever editing program I want to use in the future. If I need to edit, I'm just going to use Affinity Photo ($25 FOR LIFE, when on sale) for that.

Does anyone see any problems with this workflow?

Lightroom (version 5) has been too much of a grind for me in terms of see my photo quickly (yes, I've optimised everything possible to optimise- still slow). Also, I simple draw the line at monthly subscriptions.
ellelloo

Re: XnView & Affinity Photo

Post by ellelloo »

This is a little off topic, because I do not have Affinity Photo. However, I have had XnView really many years. Regardless the photo editing software, which I have had during the years, XnView has stayed as my main tool for photo viewing, browsing folders, organising, comparing photos, searching etc. I cannot however see how to edit EXIF data with it. It has a comprehensive IPTC editing features though. For editing EXIF data I am using ExifToolGUI.

I have come a long way in photo editing tools. From the early versions of PaintShop Pro to various Adobe tools. I did not like Adobe's new subscription based system and found DxO Photolab 4 for RAW editing. I still have an older version of Photoshop Elements for some tasks.
Last edited by ellelloo on 18 Sep 2021 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Lasse - Espoo - Finland
OM-D E-M5 II + Canon G5X II
Website: https://www.ellelloo.net/, Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellelloo/
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

I prefer Faststone as a view because it has an import photos feature. It's also free.

Another more comprehensive free option is Adobe Bridge. It manages everything from documents to video to images.

As for workflow, seems fine to work in xnview then edit in affinity.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
John_Matthews

Post by John_Matthews »

Thank you for the information and feedback. I'm still on the fence about it, but I don't really want to make any decision until my E-P7 is supported by Affinity photo and Apple. If it doesn't get supported, I'll end having to go the DNG route, which is frustrating yet still acceptable. I could also do Olympus Workspace with tiff export to Affinity, but OW is just so slow in viewing (about the same as Lightroom though).

To import from camera to any folder with XnView, it's super-easy. Put the card in (XnView will see the card automatically or you just find it). Select the one you want. Rename. Move to appropriate folder. Delete the ones you don't want. Exit XnView. Eject card. That's it.

I can't really speak to Faststone as it's windows only. XnView is Mac, Windows, and Linux (probably the only one that does Linux too). Honestly, I don't know how XnView could be faster (instant HQ viewing, next photo, HQ viewing, etc.). It literally displays the photos as fast as I can push next photo, crushing Bridge, OW, Lightroom, and almost everything else on my M1 iMac. The only exception is Apple Photos which I might actually go back to because it has almost everything coupled with Affinity, just no RAW support for my E-P7 yet. The main drawback is that Apple photos has a convoluted way of working- do something in the filesystem and you can screw it all up.

To edit XMP or IPTC, make sure you have the latest version. Right click on the photo(s) and edit. That simple. There are even templates and stuff which is past my pay grade for the moment.