Panning for motion blur

deboco

Panning for motion blur

Post by deboco »

Thanks for the feedback on the last Live Stream. Jimmy suggested that panning to get some motion blur could improve the image.
Could I get some tips on how to do this? I still want a bit of sharpness, or is that incorrect?
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Panning for motion blur

Post by Rob Trek »

Panning is a process of following your subject with the camera as it moves across the scene. You'll need to slow the shutter speed down to 1/60th for running kids. Takes a bit of practice. Hold the camera steady to your eye and rotate at the waist.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
deboco

Post by deboco »

Got it, Thanks Rob. When I am able to see them again, I'll get them running!
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

There's two types of motion blurring to consider:

1) having the background blurring to show that something is moving; like a racing car or fast jet against a blurred background ;

2) having some blurring on the kids' arms and legs, to show that they're actually moving, as versus standing in a running pose.

Selecting an appropriate Shutter speed is crucial. Easiest way to find this is through trial and error. Use Shutter Priority.

As for the blurring of the background. You'll need to be in the (default) AUTO IBIS mode of image stabilisation, otherwise the image stabilization won't let you press the shutter. AUTO IBIS is ok, but it will reduce your frame rate if you've selected continuous shooting mode. Better to select one of the other IBIS modes, depending on whether you're shooting in landscape or portrait orientation. See my article on Image Stabilization.

Rick