12-40mm f/2.8 vs Two Prime Lenses?

Schroeder

12-40mm f/2.8 vs Two Prime Lenses?

Post by Schroeder »

Hi Everyone,

I am buying a M1 Mark III to replace my Fuji X-T3 system.
I also want to get the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8.

At the wider focal lengths, do you recommend getting the 12-40mm f/2.8 or a couple of quality primes such as the 17mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8 with less weight, more light and perhaps better image quality than the 12-40mm zoom lens? I realize the f/1.8 primes are not weather sealed, and if weight and money were not limitations, I would consider the f/1.2 Pro versions of the 17mm and 45mm when there is a good sale.

I am also interested in the 8mm f/1.8 fisheye to use with Starry Sky AF, and if we are really dreaming, someday the 300mm f/4 for bird photography! :)

What options do you suggest for best image quality and low light performance without totally breaking the bank as I migrate from Fujifilm to Olympus?

Thank you!

Craig
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: 12-40mm f/2.8 vs Two Prime Lenses?

Post by Rob Trek »

If you don't need the f/1.8, I'd go for the 12-40 pro. It's very sharp wide open and more versatile. It's really a perfect match for the em1-iii.

I did a video comparing the pro lens vs the 45 and 25 primes here:
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Ron Snyder

Post by Ron Snyder »

I have a 12-40/2.8 that I bought new, but sees little use. It is a fantastic lens, optically & mechanically. Image quality is first rate. I also have a number of primes as well. The primes were used especially when I was a paid, live theater photographer, (now retired). Over my 35 yrs of photography, I have used mainly prime lenses, but you can't go wrong with either direction you decide to go.
My 12-40/2.8 may end up at KEH soon. My last For Sale item (NOT on this site), ended up with me having a $1k lens stolen when I let my guard down. A word of advice, be very careful buying & selling from private parties.
Ron Snyder
Pen Pal on Youtube
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

Wow, that sucks. That's why I'm very resistant to putting a buy/sell thread on this forum.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
rgonet

Post by rgonet »

This might be a naive question, but aren't you protected if you go through PayPal? I've used it for purchases and sales in the past and I always thought it worked well to ensure the transaction. Am I mistaken?
Ron Snyder

Post by Ron Snyder »

The buyer was in a hurry to get the lens, & I wasn't very familiar with the way Paypal worked, & I ended up falling for some faked info. Not only did I lose the $1k for the lens, I also lost over $100 to ship it over night with the shipping charges supposedly to be added to the $ amount he was to pay me. An $1100 mistake on my part. There was no way of tracking him down afterwards. He had it all worked out, timing & all. Like I said, I let my guard down & ended up getting duped. An expensive lesson learned.
Ron Snyder
Pen Pal on Youtube
rgonet

Post by rgonet »

Ouch! He also collected some bad karma and it will come back to haunt him.
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Rgonet,
I'm not understanding this.

Have you contacted PayPal?

What did PayPal say to you?

In my fairly extensive experience of buying and selling using PayPal, I've always found myself 100% protected.

Rick Bear
rgonet

Post by rgonet »

Rick Bear, the person you should be addressing is Ron Snyder. He is the one who got stiffed, not me. I just asked about his using PayPal.
MarcPare

Post by MarcPare »

Rob Trek wrote:
04 May 2020 11:58
If you don't need the f/1.8, I'd go for the 12-40 pro. It's very sharp wide open and more versatile. It's really a perfect match for the em1-iii.

I did a video comparing the pro lens vs the 45 and 25 primes here:
I have just upgraded to an OM-D EM1 Mii and need to upgrade my kit lenses. My principal need for a particular lens is that I manage a classical Baroque group and take stage photos during live performances from the back of small venues and would also like to take photos taken of the various group configurations on-stage prior to their live performances; in this last case, there would be no audience in the bleachers and I would have full run of the stage or bleachers from where I could photograph the orchestra or smaller ensemble.

I've taken a look at your video comparing the 12-40 pro vs the 25 and 45 primes. I wonder if you could tell me how the 12-40 pro compares to the newer 12-45 pro? And if the newer 12-45 pro is better suited? I also wonder why is there such a large price difference between the two?

My other concern is that the live performance stage shots are usually taken from the back of the audience area, which is dimly lit, and the stage area is usually lit as per needed but usually quite bright. Would this be better suited for the 25 prime? or could a just a clear, quality shot be taken by the 12-40 pro or the 12-45 pro lenses?

Marc