Em5 II

eja

Em5 II

Post by eja »

Hello,

I'm a new guy to the forum. I use an Em5 II for travel and an Canon M50 at home. I have been experimenting with the Olympus system and there are many things I like about it. However, I am frustrated trying to use the M5 II for capturing action. The M50 seems to work much better for this but I understand that is due to it not being dependent upon a Contrast AF system.

I recently rented a 40-150mm zoom to experiment with capturing moving subjects on the EM 5. Man, I am having a difficult time. Perhaps somebody can give me some input to figure out what the problem is. Here are some of the settings I have tried.

1. S-AF with Focus area in the 9 selection group and Single selection large and small
2. C-AF with the focus area in the 9 selection grooup and Single selection large and small
3. Single shot and Sequential Low for the shutter release
4. I also set the shutter release to fire only when in focus. Release priority for S and C to off, however it appears to release even when out of focus. I guess it is firing because the focus point locked on to something other than the subjects face, so technically it is in focus but it's on the wrong subject.

I tried the tracking feature but I had no luck. I have read on dpreview and other place that it doesn't work well so I wasn't disappointed since my expectations were low.

My website, a work in progress, is photographydad.com

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Em5 II

Post by Rob Trek »

Capturing moving objects is more skill than camera. My hit rate is really only about 50%, more or less depending on camera.

Your settings look good. You didn't mention your shutter mode. Make sure you're in continous Low anit-shock and drop the fps from the maximum. I found about 3-4 fps works well. Also, depedning on shutter speed, you may want to consider turning ibis off. If you're shutter speed is over 1/400t. I also like to turn off face detect if not shooting people.

Most importantly, you'll need to practice tracking so you can shoot with a single point af for best results.

Hope that helps
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
eja

Post by eja »

Thank you Rob. I was in continuous low but not anti shock. I also was at 5 fps I believe. I will turn the IBIS off and keep practicing. MY hit rate is about 80% with Canon M50 and an older F4 70-200 zoom. The hit rate on the Em 5 wasn't even 50%.

Another thing I noticed is that in high contrast situations, the Em5 is over exposing the highlights. I set a curve up to underexpose the highlights by 4 but it still seems to overexpose. I also set the button release to lock exposure only during the full button push. I'll keep tweaking and experimenting.

Thanks for the help.

EJ
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

I'd try swithing to spot metering. You can tie the spot meter to the focus point on the E-M5 Mark II.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D