June 19th EM1II firmware update.

DeMorcan

June 19th EM1II firmware update.

Post by DeMorcan »

I see they released a firmware update for the EM1II that includes the autofocus algorithms from the EM1X among the improvements. It reads like a pretty extensive firmware upgrade. if anyone has it, I am curious if the face detect is improved and how the wildlife photography compares with the EM1III now. Of course probably not many people have both. But with all the changes perhaps someone could let us know what improvements they see. I did the Workspace update Friday. I had been waiting until I could get an EM1III but if the EM1II update is good enough, I could upgrade my camera to an EM1II sooner.
https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/produc ... ture7.html
TerryNoon

Re: June 19th EM1II firmware update.

Post by TerryNoon »

Hi DeMorcan. I haven’t seen this update. The latest one I have is 3.4 but that is about a year old and the latest offered on the Olympus support site. The one you mentioned looks very interesting though.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

Hi. The face detect did improve and the other features added are really nice. That said, the face detect is still nowhere near as good as the E-M1 III. I did a test between the E-M5 III, E-M1 III and Canon RP. The E-M1 III and Canon were about equal and the E-M5 III was way behind.

I'm assuming the E-M5 III and E-M1 II have the same AF algorithm because they are virtually identical. I still think it's worth waiting to get the E-M1 III.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
WhoIsSerafin

Post by WhoIsSerafin »

How about the EM5 Mark3 Olympus, since it’s a camera still in production?
DeMorcan

Post by DeMorcan »

Thank you Rob. Going to wait until I can get the EM1 III. I also want the HHHR to reduce noise in low light.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

WhoIsSerafin wrote:
10 Jul 2021 07:40
How about the EM5 Mark3 Olympus, since it’s a camera still in production?
Nowhere near as good as the E-M1 Mark III. Similar if not exactly the same as E-M1 Mark II.

DeMorcan

Post by DeMorcan »

Am I correct that the EM5 III has a smaller viewfinder also? Although it is a nice camera, these 71 year old eyes need all the help they can get.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

It's bigger than the em10-ii but smaller than the em1-ii. However, it uses an oled vs an lcd in the em1-ii, so it's brighter and better contrast.