New sharpening option.

DeMorcan

New sharpening option.

Post by DeMorcan »

A basic first step sharpening technique in Photoshop has been to double the size with Preserve Details (2) Do the sharpening and and some clarity and textures adjustments and then resizing to original size using Bicubic Sharper (reduction) I keep the sharpening at 60% and 0.5 radius as I am allergic to halos. With all the external program we can use now as well as new tools in Photoshop, I though I would try this with new Enhance Double Size in ACR. I did not optimize although having a double sized image to start with you can be ore extreme with the adjustments and still look good. Both were sharpened at 60%/0.5 25 detail and 60 masking. The first example is the the original with these adjustments, the second is doubled in ACR, the same settings (Although optimum would be more) and then in Photoshop resized to the original size. This is just to see if there is a use to the new Enhance double size feature for those who do not need larger photos. No other changes are done so you can see what just doing this does. These are 1080 x1920 crops to compare on an HD monitor or display. With a minimum 4GB graphics cards this takes a few seconds (about 6) over not doing it. The one not resized is 444KP. The resized one is 616KB (both saved at jpg level 6) which indicates it has more detail Your eyes can tell you if there is any value in this for you. I would right click them and open in a new tabs to switch between them. And, although I di not show it here, the Enhance in ACR is better than the Preserve Details (2) enlargement in Photoshop resize. This photo was downloaded from the Photoshop Training Channel supersize video. Although he does not ever show anything about resizing back to improve sharpness. I do not know if that is a common technique or just something I do.
Attachments
italy_0149.jpg
italy_0149-2.jpg
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: New sharpening option.

Post by Rob Trek »

Interesting way to sharpen. I've always used Lightroom. I'll have to try this on a hi-res image and really pixel peep.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
DeMorcan

Post by DeMorcan »

I started doing it years ago. As I print a lot, I am very allergic to halos Actually saying because I print a lot has nothing to do with it. I am just allergic to halos. :) The new supersize in ACR makes it better. With the Preserve Details (2), I would sharpen the 60% 0.5 and then when I resized to original do it again. No need to do it again now. Although the new option uses the GPU harder. BTW, in photoshop if you go top preferences and set it to open jpgs in ACR, you can use it with them. No need for the Bridge some you tube videos say. When I open a jpeg in ACR, I change it to 16 bit so I can work on the colors and highlight shadows like I can RAW. Editing RAW, you can edit in 8 bit as the RAW has the other info and it is only when output it is actual 8 bit. Also forgot to mention, but this is in the ACR. When you are already in Photoshop and go to the ACR Filter, it does not have the full ACR and enhance is not available. I am really curious about how it does on a high res shot. I shoot EM1s and an EM10 II until I get the basic 7 lens. Oh and to enlarge after wards (crop or something) in Photoshop, the Preserve Details (2) need turned on in the preferences. I think it is in the Technology Preview. I check that every version and turn it on everything. Sometimes I find some of the things there may be quirky with Pro RGB so I turn them off until they make are part of the regular menu. But some never do make it to the menu.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Any similar feature using other photo editing programs?

This gentleman uses M5 and OM lenses, he gets some really sharp detail.
I know its not just the lens...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markryans ... 019701613/