LOCKDOWN STORE CUPBOARD FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Try to include some commentary - behind the scenes, the story, settings, etc...
MagRat Garlic

LOCKDOWN STORE CUPBOARD FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Rob and I have been discussing the joys of the store cupboard [junk food] meals we can all enjoy while on lockdown.

Examples that everyone must (surely) be familiar with are: Heinz Baked Beans on buttered Toast, Heinz tinned Macaroni Cheese on Toast, Fried Bread with [English] Bacon and Eggs, ... So, image my surprise when Rob said he's never had any of these sublime delicacies 🙀.

THE CHALLENGE
Is to prepare and photograph your own country's quick-and-easy store cupboard meal. It must be as simple as opening a can, heating the contents, and pouring over hot buttered toast. (Gourmet meals are Prohibited!)

This challenge is based upon my own experience as an apprentice photographer working with a well known food photography expert when I was on summer break in my degree course. The big challenge was that we had to sell tinned junk food by making it look delicious and appetizing. --- So, that's your challenge.

EDUCATIONAL VALUE
It'll be interesting to see what you folks are enjoying during this global pandemic. Rob hadn't a clue about foods I had thought to be international staples of the junk food genre. What on earth does he survive on? What about Finland and Malaysia? I do hear Australians eat meat pies floating in Pea Soup (or is that just Terry Pratchett having a laugh)? What do you folks consider to be a tasty quick meal from the store cupboard?

RULES
1. It must be as simple as opening a tin, heating the contents, and pouring over hot buttered toast.
2. Instant disqualification for any gourmet food.
3. You must submit a photograph that makes your food look so appetising, we all want to try it.
4. You must include a description of your food, including the recipe instructions and, where possible, details of the manufacturer.
5. A panel of unqualified and totally inexpert junk foodies will judge the submissions and their bad taste decisions shall be final.
*. Special dispensation: if your culture doesn't have any British style junk foods (as the French would have us believe) then feel free to Google an English junk food recipe, and do your best to replicate it.

Have fun, and let's hear what gastronomic delights you are enjoying.

Maggie G.
fjhleger

Re: LOCKDOWN STORE CUPBOARD FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Post by fjhleger »

Being French, for 1, I can only think of Foie d'oie (well, no butter needed in this case but could do), but 2 disqualifies me…, snails idem (this is a delicatie).
Damned, this is a real challenge. I will ask my wife if she has an idea.
François
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Hi François,
You might find something in a 7-11 Convenience Store or at your local Fuel Station. Somewhere were they don't stock Luxury Pate Foie Gras :lol:

Here's the type of product that a professional photographer might have inflicted upon them by a commercial client. Try Paul&Louise brand's fabulous Tripes à la mode de Caen (Tripe with Normandy style sauce) served on hot buttered toast, or similar. Available from Carrefour or even Amazon. ...the manufacturer assures us it's completely traditional and authentic French cuisine; which must be true, as it's Fabriqué en France!

Think of it as an adventure into the "dark side" of cuisine. ;-)

IMPORTANT - you only have to photograph it. The rules say nothing about eating it.

Bonne chance mes amis,
Rick
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

So I'm giving this challenge a go. Here are my first few attempts. Feedback welcome!
P4100027.jpg
P4100027.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 2992 times
P4130009.jpg
P4130009.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2992 times
P4110056.jpg
P4110056.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2992 times
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Hi Rob,
Nice to see you're having a go and exploring what's possible with this Challenge.

It's not like your usual food photography, in that it's about ordinary store cupboard food. Whatever you're "Survival Cupboard" has to offer, rather than a fancy restaurant meal. So, how do you get a good image out of this?

Here's a few Hints and Tips:
• try to think about what it is that you think makes the meal tasty.
- here we have a nice runny egg yolk
- there's also some crispy toast
- we have a nice crisp on the edge of the egg white
• think about additional props might add value or context to the image
- the coffee maker suggests this is breakfast
- sauces or other items help tell the story
• what about the plate and plating up?
- can you arrange the food to make it look nicer?
- is this the best angle? Too often people photograph food from above and make it look like a picture for an art gallery, as versus real food in a Lockdown
• depth of field tells us where the photographer wants us to look
- the background props are out of focus, but still helping support the story
- he might also consider cropping the image into a closeup
- I've also seen some great food photography where we're looking between things like coffee cups and pepper mills, which frame the picture and give it more depth
• what's the Story is something photographers should always ask
- here Rob's telling us about his "survival" breakfast during the Lockdown
- the food looks part eaten, and tells us it's all there is available
- it's a photojournalistic image
- and if it's to support an article on surviving the Lockdown, Rob might consider printing a headline (even a descriptive paragraph) over the picture.

As Rob says, it's his first attempt. It's a good start and it'll be interesting to see how far he can take it. You never know, maybe he'll change from eggs on toast to the classic Peanut Butter and Jelly lockdown survival food.

Rick
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

This is actually my usual meal for breakfast. I decided to show the basic ingredients this time. Still not done, but what do you all think so far?
P4140014.jpg
P4140014.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 2978 times
P4150028.jpg
P4150028.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 2978 times

MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

WOW, Rob, this is starting to look really good !

I like both those photographs. Your use of depth-of-field is excellent, and uses those props to huge advantage.

How would I improve on this? Hmm, send you on a cookery course, maybe 😂😜.

Perhaps use 3 eggs, so two of the sunnyside up yolks are full and round, while one is dribbling runny orange yolk as you have it? But, all-in-all, these are a couple of images to be proud of.

And, as you eat this same breakfast every day, it'll be interesting to see how you develop the theme over the coming days or weeks. Maybe a hand holding a piece of eggy toast and offering it fo the camera to eat? That'd give two pictures in one, with the broken yolk dripping off the piece of toast the camera is about to bite down on; while your background plate of another two eggs on toast has beautiful rounded sunnyside up eggs.

Anyway, have fun everyone. Rob's shown what can be done with some burnt toast and a single egg. Is your Lockdown food (and cooking) any better?

Rick & MagRat the Cat
PaulPausescu

Post by PaulPausescu »

Hi,
I`m giving this a go. This is a series that i`ve made on 8 april this year. Got bored, one night and did this. Any critique is welcomed.
foodstory.jpg
foodstory.jpg (7.76 MiB) Viewed 2953 times
MagRat Garlic

Post by MagRat Garlic »

Paul,
This is a really awesome take on the Lockdown Store Cupboard Challenge 👍👍👍. Some great images, and how fantastic you're really telling a story.

I'm having fried steak and chips (French fries) for dinner tonight. Now you've inspired me to grate some cheese over the top. And that sharing of our lockdown food experiences is exactly what this challenge is about.

Thank you, cheesy chips tonight 😄,
Rick
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

That is pretty awesome! This would make a great poster!